Hi, I'm new. I'm a retired (over 10 years) engineer with some audio experience. This is in response to "My Altec A7" - a pretty good thread.
---
My front HT speakers are Altec A10's. To be honest, I should call them A9.5's as I had to sell off 4 of the 515's to get them into my house. The A9 & A10 models are the big brothers to the A7 (but, not as big as the A2's).
---
I got them from a disbanding Seattle grunge band around 1989. They had repackaged the 800 lb plus, 8' plus theater boxes into something more suited to the road. I repackaged them again into something less that 6' high and about 300 lbs.
---
The current configuration is:
291-16A symbiotic driver; 311-90B sectoral horn, and only 2 511B's (like the A9). The smaller packaging has serious impact on the low end. Everything below 130 Hz is routed to the sub-woofer - a modified EV TL440. The cabinet is a 3rd order Chebychev pass band where the half power point is about 30 Hz. It's about 30% bigger and a lot more rigid than the highly compromised EV design the TL440 shares with the TL3512. So much for THX certification. VoTT is, or at least was in 1975, a higher standard than is THX - in my, not so humble, opinion.
---
Within my budget limits, I've tried to emulate the Grass Valley / Cinerama electronics. The front end is a Samson S3 processor. Each transducer has it's own amplifier (Samson S170 servo for the 515's and 1/2 of a S120 Servo for the 291). The S3 provides the 500 Hz Linkwitz-Riley, 24 dB/Octave XO, shelving, horn directivity correction, and LF delay. Needless to say, they are extremely clean sounding.
---
On the down side, they are more suited to theater use, than as ASRM's (active studio reference monitors). This is especially noticeable when listening to un-processed studio recordings with crashes and hats. So I've doctored them up a bit with a Swans-HiVi RT2H-A (I know, ... Chinese) X0 @ 4 kHz (by the S3) and powered by other half of the S120 Servo. Say what you may, it works.
---
The total system uses 17 amplifier / transducer pairs in a THX-EX and ITU surround compliant mid-field configuration. The reference SPL is 126 dB @ +4 dBu. The venue is quite small - 3000 cubic feet with 200 Sabins of adsorption. Normal operation is 50 dB below reference - I still have my hearing![]()







Bookmarks